Wednesday, November 18, 2009

1 for me, 0 for the hag

This morning I was running a little late for work but I needed to buy breakfast at this little shop at the MRT station. I already knew what I wanted so I had the exact amount in my hands. A little dismayed at seeing a few people in the shop already. It's a really small place so 4 people is enough to make it crowded.

There was an old auntie, all vain and dressed up, holding some food and looking at the other stuff. I observed for a second and figured she's probably been looking at it for some time and won't be done soon. So I said "excuse me", because unlike her, my mind was made up and I just needed a second to grab the item and pay up. This bitch didn't budge and totally ignored me so I just reached over to take it. Upon which she turned around to join the queue because she didn't want me to pay before her. Which is flipping irritating enough because I would take less than FIVE SECONDS to drop the coins into the shop-owner's hands. The shop-owner is a very nice man and understands that many people are rushing to catch the train so usually is very quick. This stupid old hag had more things than me, did not have the exact change, obviously wasn't in a hurry, and yet didn't want to let me have that few seconds. How considerate. Stupid woman, you are the reason why we don't have a gracious society here.

And that's not the end. She's not obliged to help me in any way. I understand that. That's fine. That last paragraph didn't sound like I was fine with it. Ha.. But it was okay still.

So I stood behind her to wait to pay and this girl came in and wanted to buy some food. (Of course.) It's a small shop so she said "excuse me" so she can reach the food. I stepped aside BECAUSE I'M CONSIDERATE LIKE THAT. That ignorant hag thought I was trying to get closer to the shop-owner to pay before her. As if I'm as rude as her. She muttered in mandarin, "some people are so like that." "有些人就是这样" Complete with a disgusted tsk look on her face, like she's a bully victim! I'm so NOT going to let that slide. FYI, my normal voice isn't loud at all so I wasn't screaming at her. I said that girl said excuse me so I was giving her way, OK? “她说excuse me, 我是在让位 OK?" In a very irritated tone that propably suggested 白痴 at the end. I should have added "unlike YOU" because she completely ignored me when I said excuse me. She just kept quiet and kept her eyes in front. She might have looked slightly scared. Ha.. I think the shop-owner was a bit scared actually. Haha.. When he handed her her change he accidentally dropped a coin. I just gave him my money, checked that he checked the amount and left, before he could help her pick it up. HA!

Can I just clarify that I respect the elderly. I always give up my seat for the elderly and give them a smile. If they are smoking, I do not diao them like I do for smokers of other ages. But to me, elderly is really old. Old hags do not count. Chee ko pehs also do not count. This old hag looked like she thinks she's very posh, judging by the way she acted and dressed. I cannot stand this kind of delusional people.

No comments: