Sunday, August 19, 2007

Where there is no love, there can be no grief

I think I was still obsessed after all. But felt a little better after buying the three books of the Black Magician Trilogy. =P But won't be reading them till at least after PSLE prelims. One of my students damn anxious about her prelims. She wants 4 lessons this week. So hardworking. But I'm pleased. The other one, however, was online just now and wanted to play games with me, even though his prelims start tomorrow... Whatever.. I hope he doesn't do well in his prelims so he will panic and study hard for PSLE. Not that I'm evil but he really doesn't seem to realise he needs to study loh.

And then felt better still after reading the author's website..

I'm heartily sick of people complaining about the death of a certain character. Readers weren't supposed to feel good about it, after all. I'm not aiming to write books in which everyone is alive, shacked up with their perfect match, rich and successful at the end (if you want that, read a romance novel). I write in order to move people. Sometimes people are so moved they come straight here after reading the last page of The High Lord to send me a wailing complaint. To them I say take a deep breath, stop and wait a day for the emotional effect of that book to wear off a little before you email me.


She was writing what kind of questions she will not answer and to requests not to kill certain characters, she wrote: You know, you’ve probably just told me that such a death would have great impact, and made it very, VERY tempting. (If you haven't caught on that we authors are a perverse bunch... hmm, I don't know how to finish that sentence.) ...Perverse! I don't enjoy romance novels but no need to torture her readers right?

Anyway go read the book if you're free. Very exciting, especially the last book. The first book is a little slow though. But the last book is the reward for reading them all. Even though it got me so depressed.. But that's because I have a low threshold.. Think I inherited from my grandmother. She died indirectly from grieving for my grandfather. At least that's the impression I got. I was in Primary 1. My relatives have been saying I look like her for several years already. Once a year during Chinese New Year. Ha.. But then I remember she was quite tall. So why am I so small? ... Think I got something else from her. But cannot say what.

Hungry... My appetite left the building yesterday...

No comments: